InteRisk Alert – Wuhan Coronavirus (nCoV- 2019)
What is Wuhan Coronavirus?
The International Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is monitoring an outbreak caused by the novel coronavirus (nCoV) which was first identified in the Wuhan, Hubei Province in China. This outbreak is now commonly known as the Wuhan Outbreak.
What are the symptoms?
The common signs of infection include flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia and severe acute respiratory syndrome, leading to kidney failure and potentially death.
If you present with any of the above symptoms seek medical advice.
What are the personal preventative actions I can take?
- Remember basic hygiene principles, such as; cleaning your hand with soap and water, always covering your mouth if you cough, use a tissue and clean your hands after coughing or sneezing.
- If you are travelling by air and feel unwell report to airline staff
- Follow the advice of medical health authorities.
What are the preventative actions from an operational perspective?
The current situation does not require operational changes. However, it is important you remain up to date on the outbreak. It is recommended that an action plan be established to determine what hygiene resources may be required for your site should the situation escalate. In the development of your action plan, you should consider:
- Site resourcing e.g. cleaning staff
- The diligence of cleaning staff
- Type and availability of cleaning products that may be required
- The impact a virus outbreak may have on HVAC equipment
- A response should you be approached regarding the virus (e.g. tenant or client).
What if I plan on travelling?
If planning to travel we recommend you check with your travel agent and/or the Smart Traveller website for the most current advice.
For more information visit: